NEW PRICING EFFECTIVE 01 JULY 2018:
$20.00/Per Person – Includes One (1) Pre-Filled Bucket of our 100% Unsalted Gem Ore. ( * See below for explanation of this change)
Age 5 and under: Free Admission with an accompanying paid miner (no mining screen or bucket of gem ore provided – Li’l Miners get to “assist” an older accompanying miner).
Only paid miners are permitted to sit on the flume line, other than Li’l Miners as noted above. Other non-mining members of a group are welcome to enjoy our picnic area and lawnchairs.
Group Rate (15 people or more): $5.00 discount Per Person
Includes One (1) Pre-Filled Buckets of our 100% Unsalted Gem Ore.
Current M.A.G.M.A. Members: $5.00 Admission Discount
(Current Membership Card is Required Upon Admission)
Active U.S. Military and U.S. Military Veterans: $5.00 Admission Discount
(Military ID Card is Required Upon Admission)
One discount per customer. Discounts cannot be combined, conjoined, transferred, conferred, or multiplied.
$5.00 per additional bucket of our 100% Unsalted Gem Ore.
NOTICE: Mining is a STRENUOUS ACTIVITY
It requires: Bending, Twisting, Lifting, Grasping, Physical Coordination, Balance, Stamina, and an awareness of your surroundings.
Not-For-Profit | Club | Professional Organizations
The Cherokee Mine welcomes Not-For-Profit groups, rockhounding clubs & professional organizations scripting their own programs as well. Whether an educational field trip or recreational getaway, your group coordinator will promote the outing, handle registration, travel, directors and support staff. The Cherokee Mine supplements programs by furnishing the aid of its gem mining equipment, expertise and facility resources. Upon request, we can provides your group with an entertaining educational session on mineral ID, and the geology and history of the gem mining trade in western North Carolina. Our flume line can accommodate 30+ people, but groups of all sizes are welcome at our facility. Reservations are typically made on a year-to year basis with first choice of dates going to returning groups. Please contact us today for more information about bringing your group to The Cherokee Mine, as we are currently scheduling our latest program calendar.
- Recently, we have had an increasing number of mining customers who are operating under time constraints, and are unable to complete their two buckets effectively and completely in their available time. Effectively, miners still can get two buckets for $25.00, since additional buckets are still $5.00 each. This pricing change is to enable miners more flexibility without penalty, while essentially keeping prices the same for miners who wish to continue searching for gems beyond one bucket. Remember, $25.00 still equals two buckets, if you so desire – it is just broken down into smaller portions for the convenience of those who are unable to search two buckets. AND all discounts noted above still apply! Thank you.
Mining Fees & Considerations
ADMISSION FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE.
THE CHEROKEE MINE IS “CASH ONLY”. We do not accept credit cards or personal checks.
- OPERATION OF THE CHEROKEE MINE IS “WEATHER PERMITTING”.
- THE CHEROKEE MINE WILL BE CLOSED DURING INCLEMENT WEATHER AT THE ON-SITE MANAGER’S DISCRETION (i.e. Rain, thunderstorms, extreme cold temperatures, et cetera.) Please call in advance of your visit to the Cherokee Mine if there are any weather forecasts indicating potential foul weather in the Cowee Valley, to ensure the mine is open.
- CHILDREN MUST BE KEPT UNDER ADULT SUPERVISION AT ALL TIMES.
- The Cherokee mine closes at 4:00 sharp Monday through Saturday, and at 5:00 sharp on Sundays. WE WILL NOT ACCEPT ARRIVING CUSTOMERS AFTER 2:00 p.m.
- ONLY WELL-BEHAVED PETS PERMITTED. PETS MUST BE KEPT LEASHED AND AWAY FROM THE FLUME LINE. PET WASTE MUST BE PICKED UP AND DISPOSED OF BY THE PET OWNER.
- SMOKING AT THE FLUME LINE IS NOT PERMITTED. CIGARETTE AND CIGAR BUTTS MUST BE DISPOSED OF PROPERLY : NO LITTERING
- ANY OFFENSIVE CUSTOMER OR MEMBER OF THEIR PARTY WILL BE REQUIRED TO LEAVE THE PREMISES. NO DRINKING OF ALCOHOL IS PERMITTED ON OUR PREMISES.
- CHILDREN UNDER 11 YEARS OLD ARE NOT PERMITTED INTO THE DIG YOUR OWN MINING AREA.
- SHIRTS AND SHOES ARE REQUIRED TO BE WORN AT OUR FLUMELINE. SHIRTS, SAFE FOOTWEAR ( TENNIS SHOES OR BOOTS ONLY ) MUST BE WORN OR ACCESS TO THE MINING SITE WILL BE DENIED.
- A HOLD HARMLESS AGREEMENT / INJURY WAIVER MUST BE SIGNED BY EACH CUSTOMER (OR PARENT / GUARDIAN) PRIOR TO BEING PERMITTED INTO THE MINING AREA.
- All Mine Equipment issued to any customer is to be returned at the end of the customer’s mining session. The Mine Equipment (Screens, buckets, pails, shovels, etc) is NOT to be construed to be a customer’s souvenir. Removal of any Mine Equipment from the Cherokee Ruby and Sapphire Mine is THEFT.
Hours of Operation
Mine open May 1 to October 31
MINE OPEN 7 DAYS A WEEK FROM MEMORIAL DAY THROUGH LABOR DAY
MINE CLOSED THURSDAYS BEFORE MEMORIAL DAY AND AFTER LABOR DAY
(Closed May 3,10,17,24; September 6,13,20,27; October 4,11,18,25)
The Mine will also be closed on Friday, October 21, 2016.
Open May through October
Monday-Saturday: 9am to 4pm*
Sunday: Noon to 5pm*
Although the mine is open until 4:00 PM (5:00 PM on Sundays), admissions END at 2:00 PM. This is to allow miners sufficient time to complete processing their buckets of gem ore. This is a laborious
time-consuming process, so
PLEASE COME AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE.